June 27, 2018
Coach and Athletic Director magazine, in partnership with the National High School Athletic Coaches Association (NHSACA) has announced its inaugural 40 Under 40 Class of 2018 — a group of exemplary sports professionals nominated by their peers for the impressive accomplishments of their young careers. The Class of 2018 was honored at the NHSACA Annual Convention on Monday, June 25, 2018, and will be featured in the upcoming July/August issue of Coach and Athletic Director.
Launched this year, the Class of 2018 represents a broad spectrum of sports industry professionals, from coaches and athletic directors, to sports news reporters and industry suppliers. These young professionals are making substantial strides for their individual athletic programs and the industry as a whole.
“Our inaugural Sports 40 Under 40 Class of 2018 represents the next generation of industry leaders who will significantly evolve the industry in their respective sports and areas,” said Publisher Brian Virgona. “Their impressive accomplishments to date are reflective of their natural leadership, motivation and desire to make a difference in the lives of young athletes.”
More than 150 industry professionals gathered to celebrate the Class of 2018 during the NHSACA Annual Convention, which kicked off with a social networking event followed by the presentation of awards hosted by Virgona and Editorial Director Kevin Hoffman. The 2018 honorees are:
- John Achen, Athletic Director at Palisades Charter High School in Pacific Palisades, Calif.
- Ryan Anderson, Director of Athletics at Menomonee Falls School District in Menomonee Falls, Wis.
- Will Baumann, Head Volleyball Coach at Clarinda Community Schools in Clarinda, Iowa
- Luke Beach, Athletic Director at Rochester High School in Rochester Hills, Mich.
- Thomas Brockett, Dean of Students, Athletic Director and Head Football Coach at Ansonia High School in Ansonia, Conn.
- Bob Broderick, Co-Founder and Vice President of Sales and Marketing of XTECH Protective Equipment
- Joe Brown, Athletic Director at Roosevelt High School in Johnstown, Colo.
- James Bunnell, Athletic Director at Saugus High School in Saugus, Mass.
- Vito Chiaravalloti, Athletic Director at Christian Brothers Academy in Lincroft, NJ
- Brian Clarke, Director of the Strength and Conditioning Program at Noblesville School System in Noblesville, Ind.
- Ann Gaffigan, Chief Technology Officer and USA Track and Field Athletics Committee Secretary in Olathe, Kan.
- Dan Gill, Director of Athletics at Episcopal School of Dallas in Dallas, Texas
- David Graff, Brian Kaiser and John Wirtz, co-founders of Hudl
- Gregg Groen, Head Girls Basketball Coach at Cedar Falls Athletics in Waverly, Iowa
- Chris Hobbs, Associate Athletic Director and Head Basketball Coach at The King’s Academy in West Palm Beach, Fla.
- Eric Johnson, Knights Head Baseball Coach at West Essex Regional School District in North Caldwell, NJ
- Steve Jones, Head Football Coach at Kimberly High School in Kimberly, Wis.
- Terra King, Varsity Volleyball Coach at Harper Creek High School in Battle Creek, Mich.
- Micah Kurtz, Head Strength Coach at Windermere Preparatory School in Windermere, Fla.
- Gary Lawson, Head Women’s Soccer Coach at St. Joseph’s College in Brooklyn, NY
- Scott Lewis, Varsity Basketball Coach at Grand Ledge High School in Grand Ledge, Mich.
- Kevin MacCauley, CEO & Founder at Upper Hand
- Jefferson Mason, Director of Basketball Development and Training Specialist at Dr. Dish Basketball
- Andrea McHugh-Riche, Associate Athletics Director at Concordia University in Irvine, Calif.
- Bryan Meagher, Associate Head Coach at Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va.
- Casey Meile, Activities Director in Sioux Falls Roosevelt High School in Sioux Falls, SD
- Derrick Minor, Head Football Coach at Foard High School in Newton, NC
- Eric Olson, Football Coach at Milnor-North Sergeant in Gwinner, ND, and NDHSCA President
- Jason Parker, District Director of Athletics at Sapulpa Public Schools in Sapulpa, Okla.
- Patrik Pistorio, Head Football Coach at South Elgin High School in South Elgin, Ill.
- J.D. Plumlee, Head Football Coach at Fountain Lake High School in Hot Springs, Ark.
- Michael Poploskie, Athletic Director at Mastery Charter Schools in Philadelphia, Penn.
- Jackie Randall, Women’s Athletic Director at Elk Grove High School in Elk Grove Village, Ill.
- Megan Salle, KTWO Sports Anchor in Buffalo, Wyo.
- Josh Shattuck, Assistant Athletic Director and Head Football Coach and Elkhart Central High School in Elkhart, Ind.
- Marc Sheil, VP of Sales & Marketing at Sideline Power
- Sef Sunia, Assistant Varsity Basketball Coach at The College Preparatory School in Oakland, Calif.
- Matt Troha, Assistant Executive Director of the Illinois High School Association in Bloomington, Ill.
- Danielle Turner, District Athletic Director at Central Bucks School District in Doylestown, Penn.
- Josh Vandergrift, Athletic Director at A. Crawford Mosley High School in Lynn Haven, Fla.
“We were thrilled to welcome Coach and Athletic Director and the Sports 40 Under 40 Awards to the NHSACA National Convention,” said NHSACA Executive Director Dave Dougherty. “This awards program exemplifies the best in young leadership within the sports industry and gives us incredible optimism for what the future holds.”
For more information on each member of the Sports 40 Under 40 Class of 2018, visit coachad.com/40under40/. Nominations for the Class of 2019 will be available online, at www.coachad.com, beginning in December 2018.